Saying Goodbye


The nature of my lifestyle means that these days I seem to be saying goodbye almost all the time. There are so many goodbyes ranging from "I'll see you in a week" to "let's meet up at Christmas", and the worst one of all.. when will I see you again?

When a goodbye is forever, it's hard to admit it. Promises to meet up in some place in the world at some point in the future leave me wondering if I will ever see that person again. People who have shaped me, carried off in airplanes to the next stage in their life. Letters pressed in hand to say thank you for the role they've played, hoping desperately that one day a hug will be shared and stories exchanged. 

Sometimes I don't even want to say goodbye: slipping out the back door is easier than acknowledging the end to a messy but important past.  

In a transient lifestyle it is hard to make friends and build relationships. Is it worth investing when something will be short lived, when someone will be gone as soon as they came? I'm coming to realise that yes, no matter how short a time a person occupies in your life, it can be worth it. In this journey that we all travel many people will come and go, and their influence can be profound. Five months ago I wouldn't have believed I would have met someone so important I now call him my brother, although it will be a year before we see each other again. 

So relish in your friendships, and when the time comes to part say thank you to them for being in your life, and smile for the memories. 

Goodbyes are hard, but they just mean a life well shared. 

3 comments:

  1. I love this post! I've had a lot of change in my life recently and so I've found myself having to say goodbye to a lot of loved ones. Never an easy thing to do!

    http://thecourtneydiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Courtney! I'm sorry that you're having to say goodbye xxx

      Delete
  2. very touching.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and share your thoughts with me. I read and reply to each and every one.