Jumping Heart First

Being Brave With Poetry

Just one day after writing the post about being creative for myself, I shared my poetry with a room full of people.

At my university we have a tradition where we gather together in a living room and perform our creative works or stories to support each other. I have longed to do it for nearly two years but fear always got in the way, and I let it.

I had written a poem along time ago that I have been adding to since. It details all the people I have loved in my life, both romantically and otherwise, and as a new love came and went I weaved the story into my words. It was like laying my soul on paper, and sharing it was baring a part of myself that I had never admitted to anyone before.

As I went to sit in the chair, the chair where so many people I love and respect have sat before, I was shaking. My heart felt like it was going to burst out of my chest, and I was sure everyone could see what a fraud I was for occupying such a position.

Then I opened my mouth.

The words that have become a part of me flowed so naturally it was if some other being had taken over. I said my piece, and the room clapped. Perhaps for them it was nothing monumental, but I had just climbed Everest. I had thrown myself so far out of my comfort zone that I couldn’t even see that space anymore. I left a woman so empowered that I thought I might just be able to fly (which is ironic, as you’ll see below). 

And now I want to share it with you. 

I want to share it on my blog as another step towards bravery, in which I embrace the power that I have as a writer. I don’t need to share everything, I still intend on being creative for myself privately, but for some reason this feels important. A person important to me, when helping me select a title for this post, suggested that I had jumped heart first. It seemed an apt description of how I live my life, and what I want this space to be. 

So here it goes.. 


A Poem To All I Have Loved

the DNA helix that I wear on my wrist is a constant reminder of what I've left behind
the little girl who cried so hard that she didn't go on camp
flew half way across the globe 
and changed everything

did you know I'm scared of balloons and kites?
I'm scared I'll let go
and they'll fly away
and what do you do when something leaves you and you're not ready?
or somebody
or you have to leave and you can't say goodbye 
goodbye
it chokes me
tears trickle down my throat
for all the goodbyes I've said, didn't say or couldn't

words pour through my head
fighting for attention 
but when I see you they stop
dead
dropping onto the dusty floor of my mind
why wasn't I enough?
why wasn't I important?
why why why why WHY WHY
goodbye
leave me
(don't leave me)

the heart is pumping so hard
I fear it will give up
khalas
there's only so much it can take
pump pump pump
before it simply decides to stop 
that voice echoing down the hall
in my ears
a warning of your presence
and I feel so confused, conflicted, hurt, angry, sad
that to turn and run is all I can do
fight or flight 
I flee
fleeing 
flying

I wish I could fly
and then I could traverse the space that changed my life
an ocean of regrets
like the sea that divides us
I just want you to hold me
love me
love me first
like you always say 

all that love me leave me
or I leave them 
transient, traversing, travelling 
restless for an adventure 
but desperate for roots 
tie me down
and tell me you'll always be here
always 

but the people I love
have shaped me
into the mess that I've become 
anxious, ambitious, terrified, triumphant, scared, successful 
me.



3 comments:

  1. AHHH this is so so beautiful. I want to get this tattooed on my skin. You are so brave and such a beautiful writer. I especially love this line: "restless for an adventure / but desperate for roots."

    snap snap snap snap snap

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so so beautiful, and I absolutely think you should share poems on your blog if it's what you love! You have a beautiful talent with words and should never give that up xx

    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so nice of you, thank you so much :) I can't tell you how much it means to me xxx

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and share your thoughts with me. I read and reply to each and every one.